The government in northwest China's Xinjiang region on Tuesday denied a report in the state media that more than 200 people would be put on trial this week for their involvement in deadly sectarian riots last month.
The official China Daily said Monday that the trials would take place in Urumqi, the capital of Xinjiang and the site of China's worst ethnic violence in decades. Nearly 200 people were killed and about 1,700 injured.
Li Hua, a spokesman at the Xinjiang government media office, has denied the report, saying there was no date scheduled for the trial. He also denied that the number on trial has been raised to 200, citing an earlier report putting the figure at 83.
The China Daily said the charges include vandalizing public property, organizing crowds to cause bodily harm, robbery, murder and arson, among other crimes.
Beijing blamed the violence on outside forces stirring up separatist sentiments among the mostly Muslim Uighur minority, but Uighurs blame the police for provoking the violence.
Some information for this report was provided by AP and AFP.