Exiled Uighur activist Rebiya Kadeer is accusing China of forcing her children to blame her for the recent ethnic violence in Xinjiang.
Kadeer made the accusation Tuesday after arriving in Sydney.
China's state-run Xinhua news agency published a letter allegedly signed by her son and daughter, as well as Kadeer's younger brother. The letter says the exiled activist used the Internet to incite Muslim Uighurs in Xinjiang to riot against the majority Han Chinese.
The government says at least 197 people were killed in the rioting.
The three said they were "very angry and ashamed" with Kadeer over her alleged actions.
Kadeer said Beijing is trying to turn her children against her, which she called "inhuman."
The U.S.-based activist is in Australia to attend the premier of a documentary based on her lifeat the Melbourne Film Festival. Her visit led to the withdrawal of three Chinese films from the festival.
China also urged the festival to cancel the showing of the documentary, and summoned the Australian envoy in Beijing after Canberra refused to deny her a visa.
During a stopover in Japan last week, Kadeer said nearly 10,000 people had disappeared from Urumqi the night after the unrest. She is demanding an international investigation into the violence.
Kadeer once was a successful businesswoman and a member of China's legislature. But she fell out of the government's favor after criticizing its policies. After spending six years in prison in China, she resettled in the United States and is now the head of the exile group, the World Uyghur Congress.
Uighurs are a mostly Muslim, Turkic-speaking ethnic minority in China. About eight million of them live in Xinjiang. Uighurs have complained for years of discrimination by China's dominant ethnic Han group.