The exile Tibetan government has urged the Chinese government to call off the “Strike Hard” campaign that started on January 18 and has already arrested 81 Tibetans since.
China has carried out a large-scale police operation in Tibet. Human rights groups say thousands of people were interrogated in the space of one week and more than 81 were arrested. The operation is believed to be in anticipation of the 50th anniversary of the Tibetan Uprising of March 1959. Last year's National Uprising Day was marked by fierce protests against the Chinese occupation. Chinese officials say 22 people were killed in the unrest. Tibet's
government-in-exile says 218 Tibetans were killed and nearly seven
thousand were detained.
The Kashag said," We are dismayed to learn from a recent news report that as a result of the Chinese authorities' severe beatings and torture, Pema Tsepak, a young Tibetan boy died on 23rd January in Chamdo area. On 20th January, he took part in a non-violent protest along with two other young Tibetan boys, whose fate is not yet known".
The exile Tibetan government has urged the PRC authorities to call-off the "Strike Hard" campaign and put an end to their hard-line policies in Tibet, immediately. And appeal to the Parliaments, Governments and Individuals around the world to actively intervene so that unfortunate incidences of March 2008 may not be repeated again.
"Also appeal to the Tibetans in Tibet to understand that despite the strict restriction and harsh repression, we should maintain our calm and draw on our non-violence perseverance in the long-term interest of our struggle. We strictly urge the Tibetans in Tibet not to engage in violence and to avoid any activities that will risk unnecessary imprisonment, detention and endangering your lives. We further urge you to do your all in preventing any animosity and clashes with Chinese people".