Xinhua says police shot dead eight attackers and
that two others blew themselves up. One security guard was
Reports say at least 15 people were involved in the attackers. Two attackers were captured, and a manhunt for three others is ongoing.
Officials blame the attacks on militants seeking an independent East Turkestan homeland for Muslim Uighurs.
Chinese officials and regional analysts played down the possibility that the attacks posed any threat to the Olympics.
Wang Wei, a top Beijing Olympics organizing committee official, says the attacks will not have an impact on the games. He also accused militants of using the Olympics to further their cause.
Last week, just days before the Olympics began, an attack in the Xinjiang region killed 16 police officers and wounded 16 others. Officials said two Uighur men were responsible for that attack.
Chinese state media also linked Monday's attack to an alleged plot by the East Turkistan Islamic Movement.
Some information for this report was provided by AFP, AP.